Jonas "...was left upon awakening with the feeling that he wanted, even somehow needed to reach the something that waited in the distance. The feeling that it was good. That is was welcoming. That it was significant. But he did not know how to get there."
Why did Lois Lowry write this in THE GIVER?
Why is it significant?
What is it foreshadowing?
Lois wrote this because it shows how Jonas is different from everybody else. It is significant because it shows you what Jonas will be working towards through out the book. It is foreshadowing that Jonas will get that good feeling of welcomeness, and that hw will reach out and grab that possibility waiting out in the distance, waiting to be taken.
ReplyDelete------Paul-------
I agree with paul. I think he will feel welcome in that messed up area
ReplyDeleteI agree with Paul and Caleb, I think he will feel welcomed and that he will also be able to refer back to what happend.--Will
ReplyDeleteI think this might have something to do with the next receiver. She might have written this to give some hints to what will come next. Well if I'm right, and it's about the next receiver, it could be very significant to the story, like for the ending or whatever. It could be foreshadowing Jonas meeting someone new, like the next receiver.
ReplyDeleteI think Lois Lowry wrote this because it shows how the Committee of Elders made the right decision in selecting him as the new Receiver of Memory. He also wrote it because it would show maybe what Jonas will try to work at or become as he starts to receive more memories from the Giver. I think this foreshadows that something will happen to Jonas in the coming days.
ReplyDeleteI think he wrote this because he wanted to make a point that he was different from all of the others. I also think he wrote this because it is one of the things that you need to do to be the next receiver maybe?
ReplyDeleteI think that he wanted to show that not everything is perfect and that Jonas is special and not just a regular kid. Maybe the author wrote this to help prove that our world may not be perfect but atleast our world isnt like that. I can't believe that our world is like this but i am glad i am not there. THEY DONT HAVE JUNK FOOD! WHAT ABOUT MY CANDY. I think this is signitficant because this is how we all think our life is, its not we have it easy they have rules we wouldnt control ourselfs. It is forshadowing how special Jonas' job is when it is hard and not always fun like he thought at the beginning
ReplyDeleteI think that she wrought this as a sort of hint on what might happen later on in the book. I also agree with Paul, Caleb and Will because maybe he will end up feeling welcomed and not alone.
ReplyDeleteI think this might deal with Jonas being the giver when he is of age in my opinion. I think this may be significant towards the receiver that comes next. I think the author for shadows something that will happen next when he receives his memories.
ReplyDeleteTony
I agree with Brandon. I think that this was written to show that Jonas was different from everybody else, and to maybe give us a little clue that he would be chosen as the Receiver of Memories.
ReplyDelete-Alyssa
I agree with taylor, I like candy a lot.
ReplyDeleteTony
I agree with Paul, but I also think she's forshadowing that he will be faced with a difficult decision- Katie
ReplyDeleteyes i agree with taylor and tony what would a kid do with out tasting something sweet in there life time.
ReplyDeleteShe wrote it to make people think if they really want a perfect community to live in. Because to us our community might no be perfect but we can still have candy like Taylor said. They all have to be alike, but that would be boring to us if everyone was alike.
ReplyDeleteI think that Lois Lowry wrote this in the book because he wanted to give it detail and that when he had to take the pills maybe those where the stirrings that Jonas's parents where talking about
ReplyDeleteI kind of agree with zach
ReplyDeleteI agree with Taylor I really like the point she is trying to make, and YEAH WHAT ABOUT CANDY!! I would go INSANE! without candy!
ReplyDelete-Alyssa
I agree with Ziggy and Hailey because Jonas could be different from everybody else so when he become the next receiver he would tell the chief elder to let the community decide for themselves for what job they want.
ReplyDeleteI think that the author wrote THE GIVER because he wanted to show his readers that even though life isn't perfect everybody should have the same feelings as everybody else
ReplyDeleteZACH D.
I think that Lois Lowry wrote this in the book because its showing what he is going to go for in the book. I think that he is special in his own way not just for the receiving but also because he doesn't want sameness anymore. He feels strongly for something he wants not like the others in the communities that feel there is nothing missing, but how would they know if they have never seen color or anything else that is different that Jonas now has that they don't. You can't miss something you never had.
ReplyDeleteI think Lowis Lowry wrote this because he was trying to tell us that in some way Jonas was going to change sameness. This is significant because the community has lived with sameness for so long and introducing something other than that will be very difficult. I also think he put this to forshadow that the way Jonas is going to change the community is going to be interesting and a way that nobody expected from him.
ReplyDeleteI think Lois Lowry wrote the book "The Giver" for people to realize that there is no perfect world out there and that maybe our world is awesome when you compare it to the world in the book. I think it is significant because it is a good lesson for us to realize and for us to be more thankful for the wonderful world we have. I think this also shows foreshadowing because it kind of shows that their perfect world will most likely change shortly.
ReplyDelete-Rachel-
I think Lois Lowry put this in the book to show how differently Jonas thinks from the rest of the people. Jonas likes to really think about things. Others don't think of anything as in depth as Jonas does. This is significant because it is showing how important Jonas might be in the future. He could one day make great decissions for the communitee. This foreshadows that Jonas could chage the community a great deal. He has the ability to think of things very thouroughly which could change many things about the community.
ReplyDeleteI think Lowry wrote this in the book to show that Jonas has more feeling and thoughts then every one else. To show he is different. That is so significant because Jonas is different, and he is the only one that feels that. The others in the community don't think about that like he does. I think that it is foreshadowing that something is going to happen, and Jonas will have to change it. He will make it better, that's why he says it feels good and significant.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Rachel, I think Lois Lowry wrote The Giver to show that no one or no place can be perfect. I also think she wrote this so we know how he feels learning about all of these emotions and ideas that barely anyone knows about and he can't explain what he is talking about because they have never had the feelings that he has. I think this part of the book is significant because it helps people understand what would happen if our world was perfect and what we would have to live without even knowing about half the things we know about now. Also how we would feel about things. I think this foreshadows that he is going to chose to make bad choices because he will get frustrated with people who don't understand him.
ReplyDelete~Kelsey
I think Lois Lowry wrote the Giver to tell us that what people think is a perfect place isn't really a perfect place. There isn't any place in the world that is perfect it might be perfect to you, but not to other people it isn't.
ReplyDeleteI think that Lois Lowry wrote the book to show that even "perfect societies" still have problems. The significance is to show that no one is perfect and that no one really knows what perfect is.
ReplyDeleteI agree with andrew because the problems in that comunity are huge. They really have problems.
ReplyDelete-Tristan Johanningmeier-