Friday, December 17, 2010

Question #5

Why did the Giver give Jonas the memory of sunburn?

Elephants?

Why was the Giver given certain memories?

What other memories do you think the Giver has?

29 comments:

  1. I think they gave all those memories to the Giver because some people wouldn't know how to handle some emotions or memories like the ones he has. I think some of the other memories the giver has is memories like excitement and other that sometime lead people to do bad stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the Giver has given the memory of a sunburn and the elephant, because he wanted to get rid of some of pain. I also think that he was certain of these memories because he watches Jonas and knows what he should teach him about that day. The Giver probably has lots of memories of many different things like the technology, people, and animals..

    alex:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with brandon. I also think that he has the memories of why they are in this community. I think he knows something horrible that happened to the world like war, earthquakes, riots, racism, and politics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Giver gave Jonas the memory of the sunburn ,so then he knew what a sunburn would feel like. I think he gave the memory of the elephants to show him what elephants actually look like and also kind of a hunting because the people took the elephants trunk and the elephant ended up dying. I think the giver was given certain memories because if he didn't know than no one would know. I think the Giver has memories of almost everything in the world ,such as what different animals are and look like, other jobs that they have in their town, and other things that we wouldn't think of wanting memories of.
    ~Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they gave him those memories first because he needed so weight taken off of him, and all of the painful ones also. The "Giver" might feel a little better if some of the bad memories are taken away like the elephant and the sunburn memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Giver probably has lots of memories of many different things like the technology, people, and animals. and i think that they give him those memories so he can share with the new giver and it just keeps going on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the Giver gave the sunburn memory to Jonas to show him the real starting out feeling of irritation and pain. I also think the Giver showed Jonas the memory of the elephants being tortured so Jonas would know what real evil and suffering is like. The Giver was given certain memories, in my opinion, to have as reminders of how things once were. Some other memories I think the Giver has would be suffocating, swimming, burning, and having your entrails cut out.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. i agree with kelsey because i believe that jonas wanted to see an elephant and know what a sun burn is like because the giver want to tell and show Jones what he wants him to see and feel. One of the reason for this is because it sounds like the giver is the know it all person and he wants to pass his thoughts and knowledge.
    -Kelon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Hailey, But I also think the giver gave him those memories so he knows what it feels like, so he don't have a painful memory and not no what to do and do something wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i agree with caleb. the last receiver failed for a reason and that would be enough for me to quit. learning about the outside world..

    alex:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He gave Jonas a sunburn because Jonas said that he didnt see why people said it was going to be painful when ll his memories so far had been fun. He gave him the memory of elephants maybe because his sisters toy she sleeps with is an elephant. The giver was given certain ones to show that he had ancestors who had this happen and to pass it along. I think the giver has memories about 10 years ago when the other giver messed up and lost a lot of the memories that the giver after her couldnt get back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Paul. The whole sunburn memory was to show Jonas light pain, this pain leading to more pain in the future. The part about the elephants was kind of bizarre to me. I just think it was to show Jonas death and evil, things that Jonas did not yet know about. I think the Giver was given many memories, and these were just some that he wanted to show Jonas first. I think he has many other memories of fun, and happiness, but most of all, pain, and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Taylor. I think the Giver started out by giving Jonas the memories that Jonas might be able to relate to first, like the sunburn, and the colors, and the elephant. Then he will give him the others ones when he feels Jonas is prepared for them. All except for the memories that he lost 10 years ago when the other receiver was being trained but messed up that he will never get back.
    -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you Taylor that Jonas needed to see the way of pain, but the statement I don't agree with is your sentence about the elephant. I think the Giver gave the memory of the elephant to Jonas because he wanted Jonas to know what evel and suffering would be like.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Taylor, I also thing that he has a bazillion memories because he said he did. I think the giver has memories of the dark days when things were chaos and I think he is waiting for the correct time to give them to Jonas.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also agree with Taylor because he needs to know what it feels like to be in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Giver gave Jonas the memory of a sunburn because he said that it was going to be painful. He gave Jonas the memory of Elephants because he wanted to show him what elephants would look like. The Giver gave Jonas the certain memories because it's just part of Jonas's training.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i argee with zach, he need to knows how the pain feels that the old man has been feeling for so long in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Alex completely about why the giver chose those memories, and the elephants because they were easiest for Jonas to receive. I think the giver was given certain memories because some of them were probably to much to endure. I think the Giver has memories about the forgotten things that are in the past and that didn't survive sameness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Jessica. I think the Giver started out with giving Jonas the memory of sunburn first because it is one of the less painful memories. This way Jonas wouldn't be in so much pain he would never want to come back. I think he also gives these memories because it make Jonas relize that sameness may possible be a good thing because it protects the people from all the terrible things they could endure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also agree with Jessica, I think the Giver started out giving Jonas the memory of the sunburn first because it is one of the less painful memories. Then Jonas could work gradually through the memories. I also think he gave the memory of elephants because his comfort toy is an elephant and he should know what that is. I think the Giver is giving certain memories so he can understand thing easier and (gain wisdom.) I think the giver has a memory of what it is like with no sameness and what other communities would look like.
    -Rachel-

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the Giver gave Jonas the memory of sunburn because he wanted to show him (without hurting him too much) what the committee meant when they said that his training will be painful. I think the Giver gave Jonas the memory of elephants because it would show him what some of the bigger animals look like "elsewhere" in the world. I think the Giver was given certain memmories because those were the ones that were the most important to know to understand life. I think the Giver has all sorts of memmories of the past, of what other people look like, animals, worlds, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I believe the Giver gave Jonas the memories of sunburn and the elephants to show him some minorly painful things. This would show him how painful some future memories may be. The Giver was given certain memories because they were important. Some of memories are happy, sad, fun, and scarry. They all may possibly play a roll in future decisions the commitee of elders may make. I think the Giver holds all of the memories form the begining of the world. He may even hold memories of different worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that the receiver gave Jonas the memory of sunburn be he wanted him to feel what pain really is. I think that the receiver was given certain memories because they only wanted the strong memories not the memories that really matter. Some other memories that i think the the receiver has are some emotional feelings
    ZACH D.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with Landon, Rachel, PAUL, Taylor, and Hailey because the giver wanted to have Jonas to know that there was sunshine once and the memory of the sunburn taught Jonas that in the summer the sun gets hot for the entire season ( summer ) and the most important thing the memory of the sunburn taught Jonas that if you stay out in the sunlight you will get a sunburn.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think the Giver gave him those memories to show Jonas there are bad memories, and that the past wasn't always good. I think they are given certain memories, the more important ones, so the community still has them for when they need them. The ones that he doesn't get most not be important. I think the Giver has memories of every thing, but doesn't give them all, because he doesn't think they are important.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think the Giver gave him those memories because it shows him that the memories are physically and mentally. The Giver is giving him the memories so he can see different things and that not everything in the world is perfect. I think that the Giver has all the memories in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So that Jonas, and the Giver, might feel what it was like before. I wonder if he has memories of the Holocaust and other major events like 9/11.

    ReplyDelete